THE STEPS TO ENGLISH SUCCESS - ADVANCED LANGUAGE & LITERACY SKILLS
The Advanced Language and Literacy Skills programme (ALLS) is an outcomes-based programme designed to address all aspects of the student’s literacy development during the primary school years. It ensures all outcomes identified in the NSW Board of Studies syllabus for primary English are targeted.
On enrolment, each child will sit a 90 minute literacy assessment. This assessment will determine the child’s literacy strengths and weaknesses, so that the teacher will then be able to focus on his or her specific literacy needs.
Lower Primary (Stage 1 Years 1 and 2)
Middle Primary (Stage 2 Years 3 and 4)
Upper Primary (Stage 3 Years 5 and 6)
The programme supports students’ literacy development throughout their entire primary school years.
The ALLS programme is designed for the student who is an independent reader. Children are ready to start from the age of 5-6 years provided they are independent readers.
- Applied grammar (basic and advanced)
- Basic and advanced punctuation
- Structural grammar cloze
- Oral presentation skills
- Writing skills include sentence structure and verb tenses.
- Genres may include poetry, narrative, prose and drama.
- Literacy analysis and criticism is covered if appropriate.
- Advanced language skills including the use of simile, analogy and metaphor are covered.
- Children learn literacy procedures involving the use of imagery, personification, dialogue.
- For higher classes, rhetoric and persuasion may be taught as well as argument and debating.
- There is a strong emphasis on creative writing, including all required text types.
WHY CHOOSE THE I CAN READ SYSTEM?
Parents choose I Can Read because it is the one stop system for all skills related to fluent reading and writing.
Taught by qualified teachers specialising in literacy, it is a proven system which has never had a failure!
Read just a few of our amazing success stories, and digest our research and reports.
For further information, just give us a call - we love talking literacy...